Wednesday 2 November 2011

Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup











I spent the afternoon making my own puff pastry. I rolled it and folded it and rolled it again - layer upon layer upon layer. Yes, I channeled my inner Sara Lee. I put it in the fridge, took it out of the fridge and put it back in the fridge all afternoon. I made puff pastry until I was, well... puffed. Too puffed, in fact, to actually cook with it. So I made this simple soup for dinner. But won't worry, that puff pastry will pop up on this blog in the not-too-distant future I'm sure.


Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
slightly adapted from Joy the Baker
Serves 4

1 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for an hour to soften
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 head of broccoli, chopped into bit-size pieces
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
fresh ground black pepper to taste
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Braggs Liquid Amino
about 4 cups of water
Extra virgin olive oil for finishing

Soak the cashews in water for an hour to soften then drain.

Steam broccoli until tender. They need to be well-cooked but still bright green. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat throw in the onions and salt and cook until soft but not brown - about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute more. Add cumin, mustard seeds and black pepper and cook stirring for about 30 seconds. Add the cooked broccoli then remove from the heat.

Pour in a litre of water and with a stick blender, blend until smooth. Heat over low heat. Add the lemon juice and liquid amino. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add more water for a thinner consistency. Finish with a swirl of extra virgin olive oil and a grinding or two of black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment