Sunday 11 December 2011

Chocolate Roses and Hearts


I tried to kid myself that I'd made something that was eaten at elBulli, the famous Spanish restaurant (and former number one restaurant in the world). And technically I had. These little chocolate cakes are featured in the new book by Ferran Adria "The Family Meal". Ferran Adria was the owner/chef of elBulli and these cakes were eaten by the staff as part of their staff meal.




Adria is known as a genius amongst the movers and shakers of gastronomy. He is famed for being a deconstructivist. Someone who likes to surprise and delight with unexpected contrasts of flavour, temperature and texture. 






But, on this particular occasion, I don't mind saying that I think I might just have out-done him! You see, Ferran (I'm sure he wouldn't mind me using his first name) presented these cakes in plain, round, run-of-the-mill cake moulds.





 I, on the other hand, got out the big guns - or the little roses and hearts if we want to be absolutely correct. And, yes, I do believe I have pipped him in the presentation department.





It's too bad elBulli is no longer, I may have been able to give him some tips on presentation.


Chocolate Roses and Hearts
from Ferran Adria's "The Family Meal"
Makes 12

175g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
90g unsalted butter, softened and chopped
4 egg whites
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon caster sugar

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.

Melt the chocolate in a microwave or over a bowl of gently simmering water. Remove from the heat. Add the butter and let the butter melt into the chocolate, stirring with a spatula.

In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and caster sugar together until soft peaks form. Do not over whip. The whites should still be floppy (not a very technical term, I know).

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks for a few seconds. Pour the yolks over the meringue mixture, then fold together.

Tip the meringue mixture into the buttery chocolate. Fold everything together gently with a spatula until incorporated.

Spoon the cake mixture into the moulds and bake in the oven for about 14 minutes.

Leave to cool a little before turning out of the moulds -Your fancy shmancy moulds if you want to copy me, or if you'd rather go the "simple" route, you can follow Mr Adria and use every-day round moulds.

No comments:

Post a Comment