Wednesday 8 February 2012

Hummus






Once a week, or there-abouts, I buy croissants from the local Turkish bakery. I visit the bakery nearly every other day. I chat to the owner/baker. He has gotten to know me and what I like. It's nice. I like that he smiles when I walk through the door and tries to guess what I want that day. Today it was chocolate croissants. We talk about what a labour of love croissants making is. He knows I have made my own on a number of occasions and we compare notes. He makes a wicked chocolate croissant.

Tonight I used my make-shift brazier again. It's ridiculous funny, I have hundreds of dollars worth of barbecue equipment, but this little contraption provides great smoky flavour. I think it's due to the charcoal I'm using for the first time. I'll try it in my "real" barbecue next time. We had smoky lamb cutlets with hummus and a mixed bag of vegetables from the garden for dinner.

Hummus
from Janelle Bloom's Family Food and Weekend Feasts

400g canned chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 tablespoon of tahini
2 garlic cloves, crushed
juice of 1/2 lemon
sea salt and cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon sumac

Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Add a little hot water if it's a bit dry. Taste for seasoning. Sprinkle with sumac and drizzle with olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment