Thursday 19 April 2012

Sour Cherry and Pecan Brownies








I spent the morning working out at the gym with my top on in-side-out and only realised when I was leaving (after an hour). I got cut off in traffic. I just bumped my funny-bone on the doorknob as I was walking in the house. I forgot to buy the bread I went out shopping for, but came home with a cute pair of boots instead.
(If you're my husband and you're reading this, that last sentence isn't true.)

Thank goodness I got something right today - the Brownies (oh, and the boots ;0)

Sour Cherry and Pecan Brownies
from Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals

2x100g bars of good quality dark chocolate
250g unsalted butter at room temperature
200g caster sugar
6 level tablespoons of cocoa powder
4 heaped tablespoons of self-raising flour
4 eggs
handful of dried sour cherries
handful of pecans

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

Smash the chocolate and chop the butter into rough chunks and put them into a bowl of the food processor. Add 200g caster sugar, 6 level tablespoons of cocoa powder, 4 heaped tablespoons of self-raising flour, a pinch of salt. Whiz them up, then crack in the eggs and whiz again. The mixture will be creamy with chunks of chocolate in it - a divine sight (an not bad for bowl-licking either).

Get a piece of baking paper big enough to fit into the tray, scrunch it up and run it under the tap to wet it, squeeze it out and then line the tray with it. Spray the paper with some cooking oil. Brownies are notorious for sticking to the pan, so it pays to err on the side of caution. Use a spatula to spoon and spread the brownie mixture evenly into the tray, a thickness of about 2.5 cm. Sprinkle over the pecans and sour cherries, pushing them lightly into the batter. Bake for about 20 minutes. The top should be just set and the centre gooey...Oh yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment