Saturday 19 May 2012

Radish and Red Onion Pickle






This is a really simple recipe. It's so handy. It takes minutes to prepare and can be stored in the refrigerator for weeks. It goes particularly well with spicy/rich dishes. I used my mandolin to achieve the thinnest slices of radish and onion. I love my mandolin, but it is a seriously scary piece of equipment. I ALWAYS use the guard when I use it. If I see experienced chefs use these things without the guard I have an anxiety attack. Please use the guard if you are going to use a mandolin, the dish will be complete without pickled fingertips... trust me.


Radish and Red Onion Pickle
from Food Network

1 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 big shakes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
1/2 cup cold water
1 small red onion, sliced very thin
5 to 6 large red radishes, sliced very thin

In a medium size preserving jar, combine the red wine vinegar, salt, sugar, hot sauce and 1 cup of cold water. Give it a good shake (with the lid on). Add the onions and the radishes to the vinegar mixture and shake again. Leave it for at least 10 minutes before you eat it and you can store it for weeks in the refrigerator.

NOTE: You can pickle other vegetables using the basic pickling liquid - carrot, fennel, cucumber, beetroot... but remember, no body parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment