Monday 11 June 2012

Chocolate Slice with Chocolate Sour Cream Ganache






  


I'm a food snob. I like the best when it comes to everything food. I'm not crazy on the type of cooking/baking that requires me to open packets and jars of processed food. That's just not cooking to me. BUT, this recipe caught my eye. I was looking for a quick recipe that my 9 year old son could make for some of his friends. I was cynical about the inclusion of breakfast cereal, but I let my kids eat Weet-Bix for breakfast occasionally, telling myself that at least they're not confectionery dressed up as breakfast food. So off we went, crushing breakfast biscuits like there was no tomorrow. We'll, there won't be a tomorrow, not for these wheaty biscuits anyway, they'll be gone before nightfall.

Chocolate Slice with Chocolate Sour Cream Ganache
from Janelle Bloom's My Favourite Food for All Seasons

For the Slice:
125g butter, chopped, at room temperature
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
4 Weet-bix cereal biscuits, crushed

For the Ganache:
200g dark chocolate
1/3 cup sour cream, at room temperature

Make the Slice:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm square cake pan with non-stick baking paper.

Place the butter in a large heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Heat, uncovered, stirring every minute on medium-high/70% for 2 minutes or until melted & smooth.

Stir in the cocoa, brown sugar until dissolved. Add the egg, vanilla, flour, coconut and 'Weetbix' and mix well.

Press into prepared pan.I use a straight-sided glass to roll over it and make it even all over. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool.

Make the Ganache:
Melt chocolate in a clean, dry microwave-safe bowl, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, for 2 minutes on medium/50% or until just melted. Stir in sour cream. Heat for 20- 30 seconds medium/50% if chocolate seizes up when you add the cream. Spread the ganache over the cool slice. Allow to set before cutting into pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment