Wednesday 6 June 2012

Vanilla-Glazed Yoghurt Cake






Most of what I bake is for the people I love. I adore the look on the faces of my family and friends when they taste a treat baked by me. I can't tell you the pleasure it gives me to surprise someone with a freshly baked cake or a tray of brownies or a still-warm cookie. But I confess, this cake was baked with ME in mind. Hey, I deserve it.

Vanilla-Glazed Yoghurt Cake
from Janelle Bloom's My Favourite Food for All Seasons

For the Cake:
150g unsalted butter, cubed and softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cup self raising flour, sifted
150ml Greek-style yoghurt

For the Vanilla Glaze:
1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
20g unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste

For the Cake:
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C fan-forced. Grease and line the base and sides of a round 20cm (base) cake pan.

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, caster sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until just combined. (Over-beating will cause the cake batter to curdle).

Fold in the flour followed by the yoghurt until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the pan and smooth the surface - this helps the cake rise evenly. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let the cake stand in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.

For the Vanilla Glaze:
Combine all the ingredients on a bowl and mix until smooth. Spoon the warm glaze over the warm cake and set aside to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment