Thursday 9 August 2012

Meyer Lemon and Olive Oil Cakes






 



On days like this one, icy, grey and drippy, the only answer is Lykke Li songs... played dangerously loud while baking.

When it feels like snow is about to fall, I turn up the music and switch on the oven. I sing... loudly... badly. My dad has a fantastic voice. I may have inherited his love of coffee, cake and chocolate but I missed out on the voice... can't have it all I guess.

I dance between the oven and the sink and the counter top. No one can hear or see me (except when the delivery guy is standing at the glass door, knocking and knocking which I can't hear because of the music).

Yep, I dance in my kitchen, I sing my own words to the songs when I don't know the real ones and I bake my own sunshine... I'm a multi-tasker :)


Meyer Lemon and Olive Oil Cakes
from Gourmet Traveller
Makes 12

300g caster sugar
3 eggs
250ml milk
250ml extra-virgin olive oil
Juice and finely grated rind of 3 Meyer lemons
300g plain flour, sieved
1 tablespoon baking powder
Thick cream to serve

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Whisk sugar, eggs and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until thick and pale (3-4 minutes).

Combine milk, oil, lemon juice and rind in a large jug and whisk to combine. Gradually add to egg mixture, whisking until just combined. Fold through flour and baking powder, divide among buttered and floured tins, and bake until golden and cooked through (10-12 minutes). Cool in tins (5 minutes), then turn out, dust with icing sugar and serve warm or at room temperature with thick cream. 

These cakes are best eaten on day of making.


NOTE: For this recipe you’ll need 12 individual mini-loaf tins measuring 8cm x 5cm each, or 2 trays of 8 such holes each (you won’t use all the holes). Meyer lemons are sweeter than other lemons. If unavailable, substitute any other type of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment