Sunday 2 September 2012

Chilli Tortillas





  




I never thought I'd see the day when anything usurped pasta as the preferred carbohydrate in our house, but I think the tide started to turn on our last trip to the States where we fell in love with the tortilla. Now we can't get enough of them, the tortilla is King. Move over pasta, you're about to be thrown off the throne.


Chilli Tortillas
from Donna Hay
Makes 16

300g plain flour
2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
25g cold unsalted butter, chopped
250ml hot water

Place the flour, salt and chilli in a bowl and mix well to combine. Add the butter and, using your fingertips in a fluttering motion, rub it into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water and, using a knife, mix until the dough comes together. Knead on a lightly floured work surface until smooth.

Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces and roll each out to a 20cm round. I used my lovely tortilla press for this, but you don't need a tortilla press to make tortillas, you can use a rolling pin.

Cook for 30-60 seconds each side or until lightly browned. Stack the tortillas and cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm until ready to serve.

I served them wrapped around tequila and lime marinated chicken, then I proceeded to marinate myself in tequila and lime, I suggest you follow suit.


2 comments:

  1. I love it! I've always made plain tortillas but chili ones, nice idea. + the tequila and lime marinade, I double love it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't beat home made tortillas, don't you think? The chilli gives a nice little kick to these ones.

    ReplyDelete