Wednesday 26 September 2012

Homemade Oreos












I asked my two boys  if they would help me with the photo shoot for this post. Two very willing hand models appeared out of nowhere. Now if I could only get them to be so enthusiastic to volunteer when oreos aren't involved.



Homemade Oreos
from Wayne Brachman's Retro Desserts,
Makes about 25 sandwiched cookies

For the Cookies:
150g plain flour
45g unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon bi-carbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
200g caster sugar
140g room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the Filling:
55g room-temperature, unsalted butter
50g vegetable shortening (if you can get it, otherwise use another 50g butter)
240g sifted icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 180 degrees C.

Make the Cookies:
In a food processor, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, bi-carbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue processing until the dough comes together in a ball.

Take rounded teaspoons of the dough and place on a baking paper-lined baking sheet approximately 4cm apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a wire rack to cool.

Make the Filling:
Place butter and shortening (or all butter) in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.

To assemble the cookies, in a pastry bag with a 1cm, round tip, pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm sure they helped you because it was cookies haha :P No no, just the smell of those, nobody would say yes. They look really great and I imagine the taste...yummyyy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how they come out of the woodwork when goodies are around?! It's awesome that your boys are "foodies" too. A talent that will stick with them, and forever leave them with wonderful family memories. My girls are also very big on cooking and baking, and I may be just a BIT partial, but I think they do a fabulous job! lol! They are fans of yours too, give a wave to Jo Lee and Jonnie Ann! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gabrielle. Yes, they are always eager to help when there are bowls to lick and the smell fresh cookies is coming out of the oven. When there's dishes to do... not so much LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jo Lee and Jonnie Ann. I'm so pleased to meet you. How lovely that you like to cook and bake. I bet your Mom is a great taste-tester :)

    Hey Leah. My friend gave me framed Julia Child quote that reads "People who love to eat are always the best people... " - I couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these this afternoon and omg. They're really good Jen :) Thank you so much! :) I hope everything is alright and that you're doing okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Gabrielle. I'm glad you liked these cookies. Everything is great. I'll be blogging again by the end of next week. I hope is all is well with you. I can't wait to share my latest cooking adventures with you. X

    ReplyDelete