Friday 16 November 2012

Mini Vanilla Cupcakes with Creamy Vanilla Frosting












Where I live, when it's your kids birthday, it's traditional to provide birthday cake for them to take to school and share with their classmates. So, yesterday I stood in my kitchen churning out Mini Vanilla Cupcakes with Creamy Vanilla Frosting for the love of my oldest son who turns 12 years old today. I'm definitely holding him responsible for the amount of Creamy Vanilla Frosting I licked off my fingers, bowls and spoons all afternoon. I started eating batter and frosting as soon as they were whipped up and didn't stop until the cupcakes were put in a container and away from my sight (and reach). And, if that weren't bad enough, I've got a Chocolate Layer birthday cake to make for him today... somebody help me!


NOTE: This mixture makes 32 mini cupcakes - I cooked mine in batches as I only have 2 x 12 hole mini cupcake pans and can't fit any more cake pans in my groaning kitchen cupboards.



Mini Vanilla Cupcakes with Creamy Vanilla Frosting
from Junior MasterChef Australia
Makes 32

For the Cupcakes: 
100g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
110g caster sugar
1 egg
150g self-raising flour
2 tablespoons buttermilk


For the Creamy Vanilla Frosting:
115g unsalted butter, softened
3 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons milk


Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line 2 x 12-hole mini cupcake pans with paper cases.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Add egg and beat until combined. Add flour and buttermilk and beat until the mixture is smooth.

Spoon the batter into the cupcake cases. Bake for 10 minutes or until risen.

Transfer pan onto a wire rack to cool.

Spread with Creamy Vanilla Frosting.

Make the Creamy Vanilla Frosting:
Beat butter with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until creamy.

Gradually beat in sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla and 2 tablespoons of  milk, adding additional milk, if necessary, for desired consistency.

4 comments:

  1. i'm an elementary school teacher and at our school it's the same! every birthday parents bring a treat for our class. and let me tell you, we LOVE the parents who bring gorgeous, homemade mini cupcakes for the class rather than messy, scary, neon-colored masses from wal-mart that turn all the kids' mouths bright blue for the rest of the day. plus, then we're more likely to be able to sneak one for ourselves. :) these look great, so i'm sure your son's teacher loves you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh la la!!! Those cupcakes are so cute! I'm sure that your son's class loved those little ones :) Well, I would have licked all the frosting mouahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks little kitchie, that makes me feel better, all that finger linking wasn't in vain. LOL I do feel sorry for those poor teachers, having to deal with kids who've eaten all that scary artificial-coloured and preservative-added "food".

    ReplyDelete
  4. There wasn't a crumb left when my son brought the container home Gabrielle, so I guess they "liked" them. LOL

    ReplyDelete