Sunday 9 December 2012

Sweet Potato Burgers with Chipotle Garlic Yoghurt Cream












I want you to sit down before you read this post. I would hate for you to hurt yourself when you learn that I have done something completely "out there"... like X-Files out there. That's right. I think I've been abducted by aliens. I made a meal without cheese. I know, I don't know who I am.. I'm scarrrrred. This is like a blue moon or Halleys comet or me skipping dessert... something that doesn't occur very often. So take a picture... actually, I took one for you... actually, I took several... because it may be a while before you see it again.




Sweet Potato Burgers with Chipotle Garlic Yoghurt Cream
adapted from Healthy, Happy, Life

For the Burgers:
1 x 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
a pinch cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons maple or agave syrup
1/4 cup plain flour
safflower oil for pan

To serve: Turkish bread, lettuce, onion and chipotle garlic yoghurt cream


For the Chipotle Garlic Yoghurt Cream:
1 cup full-fat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon agave nectar
1/2 chipotle chilli in adobo sauce, finley chopped
1 medium clove garlic, minced and mashed to a paste with a pinch of salt
extra sea salt flakes salt to taste



Make the Burgers:
Prick the sweet potato all over with a fork and place it in the microwave on a paper towel. Microwave for about 10 minutes, turning it over halfway through the cooking time. Cut it in half and when it is cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and place in large mixing bowl.

Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together.
Mash in the seasoning, egg and bread crumbs. Your mixture will be quite soft and moist. But you should be able to form a patty. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs to get the right consistency.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Form the mixture into 4 patties.

Heat 1 tablespoon of safflower oil in a pan over high heat.

Fry the patties until browned on both sides. This will take about 5-6 minutes each side, You may like to add more oil to the pan when you turn them.

Serve on Turkish bread that has been sliced horizontally with lettuce, onion and Garlic Yoghurt Cream.


Make the Burgers:

Make the Chipotle Garlic Yoghurt Cream:
Combine the yogurt, chipotle chilli, agave and garlic in a small bowl and season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until shortly before serving.

12 comments:

  1. A complete meal without cheese? Yeah sometimes it happens to me too. I think it's the aliens. Or we're just crazy for a moment. But hey, your burgers looks really good and I'm sure they were delectable without cheese :) With this chipotle cream, yum :) And with this bread...gosh it looks divine :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been searching for a good veggie burger recipe - this looks de.lish. i think i could eat that cream sauce all by itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit Gabrielle, I had a moment of weakness where I did contemplate a torn mozzarella ball on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Little Kitchie. This cream sauce would be great with so many things... I'm thinking salad dressing, roast chicken, with a big hunk of baguette... Oh stop it!... that's me I'm talking to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making this chipotle cream ASAP! Check out this chipotle paste in a tube.

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=olo%27s+chipotle+paste

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahah, I'm the same way... I shock myself when I cook without adding cheese at some point. This looks absolutely amazing, cheese or not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link Anon - Chipotle paste in a tube, I think my life just changed forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment Sweet Road. Those aliens have a lot to answer for :) You have a lovely blog. I just signed up to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow. Dare I say that looks even better than a cheeseburger right now? I'm really going to have to make this sometime soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Allison - These burgers are a nice option if you want a change from cheeseburgers. Or, you could have the best of both worlds and add little melted cheese on the sweet potato burger. There I go, adding cheese at the slightest suggestion. #justcan'thelpmyself

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Allison! I am making these tomorrow, but was wondering if they freeze well? And if you can freeze the patties, can you just cook them on the skillet frozen? Please let me know! I think I'm going to have a couple leftover since I doubled the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Anon. Just treat them like any other veggie burger. The mixture is quite wet, so just be gentle when handling them. Enjoy!

    BTW: My name is Jennifer, Allison was the person who previously commented. :)

    ReplyDelete