Wednesday 2 January 2013

Texas-Style Potato Salad













I love potato salad. Lots of potatoes, eggs and mustardy dressing. Love, love, love it. Get it? Got it? ... Good. And if I can put a potato salad together that has tons of other good stuff in it as well, I love it even more. Not only does it mean less dishes (and let's face it, that can only be a good thing after the dish-washing-a-thon that's been going on around here since the dawn of time Christmas), it also means that the time normally spent stacking the dish washer and scrubbing pans, can be spent watching Mad Men season 3. Who's a clever girl?


Texas-Style Potato Salad
adapted from Food Network
Serves 6

1.2kg chat potatoes
6 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
1 roasted red capsicum, finely diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
4 spring onions, finely chopped
3 gherkins, chopped (plus a couple of tablespoon of the liquid for the dressing)

Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water and add 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until a fork inserted into the center of the potatoes meets with no resistance. Drain the potatoes well, let cool slightly (but not all the way) and slice into 1cm thick slices.

Transfer the warm potatoes to a large bowl. Add the eggs, gherkins  spring onions and red peppers. Whisk together the mayonnaise, Greek yoghurt, mustards, a couple of tablespoons of the gherkin liquid and season with salt and pepper. Add the dressing, most of the parsley and mint (reserve a little for garnish) to the warm potatoes and gently mix to combine; season with salt and pepper. Top with reserved parsley and mint and serve at room temperature.

6 comments:

  1. I love potato. I LO-VE potato salad. You have the best reasons (excuses ;) to make this haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Texas girl was pumped to see the title of this post! I loooove potato salad, and yours sounds fabulous. I love the tang Greek yogurt gives. As much as I love potato salad, I still haven't found my go-to recipe. I'll definitely be making yours next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know me Gabrielle - queen of excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Little Kitchie. I hope this recipe becomes one of your faves, that would make my day.

    PS: I think I'm Texan in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a Court Jester reference? Also, yum! I adore potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For you Sarah: The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!

    ReplyDelete