Sunday 10 February 2013

Beef Rib Chilli














As if the long, hot summer days aren't enough, I have to go and cook a meal which requires the oven to be on for 5 hours. I was standing in my kitchen buttering my morning toast and pouring my morning coffee thinking about the big things such as why I always run out of shampoo before I run out of conditioner and how I would totally be BFFs with Joan Harris from Mad Men if I were to accidentally-on-purpose stumble into New York in 1965. Then straight after that, I came up with the idea of making a 5 hour mini series out of the ribs I had in my fridge. I'm quite skilled at making my life complicated, as I've just explained. I know, right?


Beef Rib Chilli
Serves 4

1kg beef short ribs
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon onion flakes
2 fresh bay leaves
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200ml beef stock
1 x 400g can pinto beans
2 jalapenos chillies, chopped
Splash red wine vinegar
½ cup coriander leaves, chopped

Mix the cumin, paprika, oregano and salt in a small bowl, then rub into the beef ribs. 

Heat the canola oil in a large casserole dish to medium-high and brown the ribs well. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, onion flakes, peppers, tomatoes and stock to the ribs. Bring to a simmer and cook very gently for 4½-5 hours.

Take the ribs out of the chilli sauce. The meat will just pull away from the bones. Shred the meat with two forks and discard the bones and any sinew. Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.Spoon off any residual fat on the surface of the sauce and add the shredded meat back to the sauce. Add the pinto beans and return the pan to a gentle heat to heat everything through. Take the pan off the heat and add the chopped jalapenos and a little vinegar to taste. Then add the coriander and adjust the seasoning. 


10 comments:

  1. I love your introductions, they're always nice and make me smile :) Your photos + the recipe seems quite perfect for my taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I think it would be perfect on a cold winter's day, which is what we have over here:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gabrielle. There's no doubt, we like the same stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sara. A lot more sensible for winter than summer, but when it comes to chilli, I just can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen. I haven't cooked ribs very often as they don't seem to have much meat on them....... your recipes seem to make them look very meaty however. I might have to try cooking them again again!

    Congratulations on your wonderful news by the way! The boss asked me if I'd heard about it but I'm not connected to social media so I'm glad he passed it on. You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This. looks. so. good. I want to dive into this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree Sam. Some ribs are pretty mean with their meat to bone ratio. I go to a butcher who I trust and he knows that I won't go for mean and lean ribs. You could certainly make this with any braising cut of beef like chuck or osso bucco. Osso bucco would be great because you still get the flavour of meat that is cooked on the bone.

    Thanks regarding the article. Here's the link to the Cooking Channel where my recipe got a mention... only if you're interested of course... not that I'm bragging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Little Kitchie. Yep, every body into the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this shared on someone's FB page. It looks GORGEOUS! Love me some short ribs. Oh and I absolutely love your sidebar recipe index that shows the names of your recipes in the drop down box... how did you do that?!?! New follower!

    Desi
    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Desi. I'm so glad you found my blog and that you like it enough to leave a lovely comment.

    BTW: I love ribs (any kind) too.

    Regarding the drop down recipe index on my sidebar, after A LOT of searching and trial and error I found a very helpful blog called Tinned Tomaotes that provides detailed instruction and code to create it.

    ReplyDelete