Tuesday 2 April 2013

Spinach Quiche


 








Eat quiche. I know you want to. All the real men and women are doing it.


Spinach Quiche
slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen

For the Shortcrust Pastry:
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
115g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small dice
1/4 - 1/2 cup ice water

For the Filling:
85g cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup milk
3 eggs
250g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
6 spring onions, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pinch of grated nutmeg

Make the Pastry:
Place the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to mix. Add the butter and pulse again until the mixture resembles course meal, about 10 seconds. Add the ice water gradually through the feed tube and process until the dough comes together into a ball - don't over process.

Wrap the dough in clingwrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Make the Quiche:
Preheat the oven to 210 degrees C. Slip a baking tray into the oven to heat up.

Roll the pastry out to fit a 23cm loose-bottomed tart pan. Line the tart pan with the pastry.

In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon, beat the cream cheese until it is smooth. Gradually beat in the milk and eggs. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture into the uncooked tart shell. Pop the tart pan onto the hot baking tray and bake for about 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the filling is set.

Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, this is my kind of food!
    Mouth watering photos Jen. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spinach quiche! Gruyere cheese can only make it even better:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spinach and cheese in a quiche, I love it!!! It's healthy, it's full of veggies :) Your pictures are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I want this for breakfast right now! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quiche-especially spinach-and I've never made it! Clearly I need to go make this! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spinach quiche is my absolute favorite. I use crescent rolls as the crust though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Gruyere is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spinach and gruyere, in quiche? You're speaking my language :) Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sam. Looks like we have the same "taste" in food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sara. "Gruyere" - is even sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Gabrielle - That's right! Full of veggies, which means at least two slices, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehe Pink Patisserie - Quiche for breakfast, now you're talking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Dawn. This is seriously one of the best and easiest quiches I've made. No blind baking the crust - hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Ashley. A crescent roll crust sounds like a great short-cut. I don't think we get that here, but store-bought shortcrust pastry would be a good substitute. But honestly, the pastry recipe I used is really easy and soooooo good, if you ever want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Joan. Thanks for stopping by. You and me both with the Gruyere.

    ReplyDelete