Wednesday 29 May 2013

Succotash with Creamy Barbecue Lime Dressing











The 10 year old inside me thinks that succotash is a funny word. She'll use any excuse to say "succotash".

I'm making succotash.
We're having succotash.
How do you like the succotash?
Have some succotash.
Would you like some succotash with that?

Okay, I'll shut her up now.



Succotash with Creamy Barbecue Lime Dressing
adapted from A Bountiful Kitchen
Serves 4

For the Succotash: 
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lime
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1 x 400g pinto beans
4 fresh corn cobs, steamed and kernels cut from the cob
1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and  freshly ground pepper

For the Dressing:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup low fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped plus extra for garnish
1 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of your favourite chilli powder
ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons of your favourite barbecue sauce

Make the Succotash:
Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add beans & corn, season with salt and pepper. Dress with Creamy Barbecue Lime Dressing. Sprinkle with extra chopped coriander

Make the Dressing:
Combine all the ingredients together in a blender and pulsed the ingredients until smooth.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely and fresh looking! The dressing looks wonderfully creamy and zesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw a recipe like that! It looks so good and now I'm hungryyyyyyy!!!!!! I lvoe corn and in a salad like that, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What other herb could replace the fresh coriander (other than dried) in this recipe. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, Jennifer. It does kind of trip of the tongue doesn't it? This is perfect BBQ season food too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make the best dressings! And I love anything with corn right now. These looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Emma. I'm thinking of filling my swimming pool with this dressing... you know, so I never run out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Gabrielle - make it, make it, make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Patty. Fresh Basil or a small amount of fresh tarragon would be wonderful replacements for the coriander. A few mint leaves would also be good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Little Kitchie - Corn is a favourite in our house and when you smother it with a dressing of BBQ, lime and coriander it takes it to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Pink Patisserie: This would be great with BBQ chicken... or pulled pork... or BBQ ribs... next to a burger... or hot dog... or just about all summer food... or anything, anytime (There goes my inner 10 year old again.) Shut up!... no, you shut up! Succotash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely divine, love your dressing too, beautiful post once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, I never actually knew that succotash was a food. Isn't that terrible? I DO remember my brother always saying "Sufferin' succotash!" when we were growing up though. No idea where that's actually from... oh, and by the way, your gorgeous succotash looks delicious. Definitely have to try that dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sherryll - That dressing is killer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Laura - I think Sufferin' Succotash was one of Duffy Ducks lines - does that make it "Duckotash"? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - this looks delish! Never made succotash but maybe I'll give it a try....yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man, this looks so good! The flavors are right up my alley and I love all the ingredients so I know I'd like this dish. It would be the perfect side for a summer picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Tammy. This would be great for a summer picnic. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Jessica. I'm sure you'll love this.

    ReplyDelete