Friday 7 June 2013

Caveman Pops (aka Roasted Turkey Legs)






This is a 4 litre pan - so you get the scale of these legs. Nahhh, just messin' with ya.



My 10 yr old mumbled something about "zombie brains" when he saw this in the fridge.




This is a normal-size chickens egg - so you get the scale of these legs - really.






I keep expecting Fred and Barney to show up.


Caveman Pops (aka Roasted Turkey Legs)
slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Makes 4 Eeenormous drumsticks

4 whole turkey legs (The ones I used are whoppers, they were labelled "Turkey Shanks"... though, I thought there may have been a mix-up and they were actually "Pterodactyl Shanks".)

For the Brine:
2 litres cold water
1/2 cup sea salt flakes
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoons steak seasoning (I used American Steakhouse Seasoning)
1 whole bay leaf
For the Dry Rub:
1 tablespoons chilli powder (I used ancho chilli powder)
1 teaspoons steak seasoning (I used American Steakhouse Seasoning)
1 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoons onion salt

In a large saucepan, combine water with the salt, sugar, brown sugar, steak seasoning, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then remove from heat. Allow to cool, then pour into a large container, filled with ice. When mixture is cold, submerge turkey in the brine. Cover the container and brine in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours, (I brined mine overnight.)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Mix the dry rub ingredients. Remove the turkey legs from the brine and rinse them under cold water. Pat them dry. Rub the dry rub all over the turkey legs, getting under the skin when you can.

Roast on a baking sheet in the oven for about an hour if your legs are big (the turkey legs, that is) or until cooked through and bronze.

Remove them from oven and wrap the bottom of the legs with aluminum foil for serving.

Wilma!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh that first picture looks so delicious! My other half would love these, they look wonderfully spicy with crispy looking skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oufffffff!!! The boys of the house would absolutely love this recipe. A lot of turkey, BBQ style, a winner for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I bet the men in your house were loving you for these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty and Barney: did they get their invitation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are mouthwatering.. Can't wait for barbecue season to come around (almost, almost there!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Emma - this is Man-Food if ever there was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little Kitchie - I think I'm in the running for "Best Wife and Mother" award.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Yvonne - these are perfect for BBQ season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Gabrielle, the fact that I made these tells every one I live in a house full of men.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe Patty. I knocked up an invite on a stone tablet with a hammer and chisel personally.

    ReplyDelete