Monday 26 August 2013

Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Frosting


You'll need some pretty paper liners. Or plain paper liners, if that's how you roll.



My life is powered by lemon curd at the moment... I though you should know that about me.



Pretty as a picture.



Get your piping arm all limbered-up.



Swirly, whirly,whirly... sorry!



Get out your fine linen. Or your paper napkins, if that's how you r... oh, you know what I mean.



Let's cut to the chase.



A perfect little cupcake for afternoon tea, or morning tea... or midnight tea...




Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Frosting

cupcake recipe adapted from A Free Range Life
Makes 12

For the Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 cup caster sugar
50g butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Frosting:
1/4 cup lemon curd
100g cream cheese
1 1/2 - 2 cups icing sugar

Make the Cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper liners.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until pale a fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the egg, golden syrup and vanilla. Once they are incorporated, remove the bowl from the mixer and add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and the baking powder and gently fold the mixture together with a spatula until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Don't over mix or the cupcakes may become tough.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into the paper liners until about half full and bake them for about 10 minutes. They should spring back when lightly pressed on top. Remove them from the tray and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

Make the Frosting:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the lemon curd and beat again until incorporated. Gradually add the icing sugar until you have a piping consistency. Beat the frosting for another few minutes until fluffy.

Spoon the frosting into a piping back fitted with a star tip and pipe swirls on top of the cupcakes.





16 comments:

  1. Cannot get over how beautifully soft your cupcake looks in that last picture! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are super moist Marie - Teeth-sinkingly moist.

      Delete
  2. Okay, can you send some to me??? I'm gonna pay the plane to go to your house and bring two or three of these incredicle cupcakes to me :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll have a tray of these ready at the end of the runway.

      Delete
  3. I have never had lemon curd icing. That would make my life complete I think. Wish I had one of these for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I was thinking - breakfast cupcakes... very appropriate with a cup of tea and the morning papers.

      Delete
  4. I love lemon curd so why not a little icing, this recipe looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Jessica. There are never enough ways to use lemon curd in my humble opinion.

      Delete
  5. oh gosh these look fabulous! love the frosting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This frosting is going on everything from now on :)

      Delete
  6. Lemon curd icing? Genius. You need an award, sister. And I need a cupcake with double the icing. 'Cos that's how I roll (out of the door, after I've devoured the whole batch!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Laura. I had a little bit of the frosting left in the piping bag when I'd finished frosting the cupcakes and I didn't tilt my head back and pipe it into my mouth - honest *bats eye lids.

      Delete
  7. The frosting sounds (and looks!) amazing! Must give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jolene. This frosting would be fantastic on anything vanilla or lemon flavoured.

      Delete
  8. I would like to eat about 8 of these. Yum!

    ReplyDelete