Thursday 19 September 2013

Crockpot Beer Carnitas











I must admit, I'm more than a little bit attracted to meat that's been slowly cooked in beer. I think I've been heavily influence by all the men in my life.



Crockpot Beer Carnitas
Serves 8 - 10

For the Carnitas:
2-3kg pork shoulder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chilli powder (I used ancho)
2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
250ml beer (I used Cooper's Original Pale Ale)
1 tablespoon canola oil for frying

TO SERVE:
For the Yoghurt-Lime Sauce:
2 cups low fat Greek yoghurt
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
1/2 teaspoon cracked white pepper

For the White Cabbage Slaw:
4 big handfuls of finely shredded white cabbage
1/2 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
3 spring onions, finely sliced
Juice of 2 limes
Sea salt flakes

Four tortillas (I made my own tortillas - recipe here)

Cook the Carnitas:
In a large bowl, place the cumin, chilli powder, sea salt flakes, onion powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and garlic powder. Stir to mix. Place the pork on top of the spices and coat it all over, rubbing the spice mix into the flesh.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan to medium and brown the pork on all sides. Remove the pork from the frying pan and place into the crockpot. Add any of the spice mix that was left in the bowl and scrape any of the oil and spices from the frying pan into the crockpot. Pour the beer over the pork and cover with the lid. Set the crockpot to low and let it do it's thing for 10 - 12 hours.

Remove the pork to a board and shred the meat with two forks.

Make the Yoghurt-Lime Sauce:
Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix.

Make the White Cabbage Slaw:
Place all the ingredients into a bowl and toss.

I served the carnitas on tortillas and topped with White Cabbage Slaw and Yoghurt-Lime Sauce.

10 comments:

  1. I think you know how I feel about this... in love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oufffff, it would be a hit in my house this beautiful recipe! We love all the things that's inspired by mexicans and my family would fall in love with this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything from the south-west goes down a treat in my house too Gabrielle.

      Delete
  3. I completely get that!! Looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. Blame it on the boys, I say. *wink*

      Delete
  4. Wish the internet had smell-a-vision. I bet it smelled divine cooking and braising away to tenderness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my does this sound good! Meat slow cooked in beer <3

    ReplyDelete