Friday 27 September 2013

Duck Buns













DUCK BUNS - how I love the name. I really did think that the name of these hand-held beauties might be the best thing about them, then I took a bite...



Duck Buns
slightly adapted from Delicious
Makes 4

For the Buns:
2 duck breast fillets, excess fat trimmed
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
4 soft buns (I used my Best Buns)
1 Lebanese cucumber, very thinly sliced (I used a mandoline)
A handful of mint leaves
A handful of coriander leaves
1 cup pickled carrots (recipe below)
Sriracha Mayo (recipe below)

Sriracha Mayo:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Sriracha sauce

Pickled Carrot:
2 carrots peeled and julienned (I used a mandoline)
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup white vinegar
1/3 tablespoons caster sugar

Make the Sriricha Mayo:
Mix the mayonnaise and the Sriracha sauce together in a small bowl.

Make the Pickled Carrots:
Put the vinegar and caster sugar and 1 cup of water into a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.

Put the carrots into a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and rub with your hands to thoroughly mix and get the salt all over the carrots. Transfer to a sieve and rinse under cold water. Drain well.

Put the carrots into a glass bowl or jar and pour the cooled pickling liquid over to cover. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes before using.

Assemble the Buns:
Brush the flesh of the duck breasts with a little of the hoisin sauce and put them skin-side down into a cold frying pan. Turn the heat on to medium and cook for about 8 minutes, until the skin is golden and crisp. Turn and book the flesh side of the duck for about 3 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice.

Split the buns and lightly toast them under a grill (broiler).

Spread a little of the hoisin sauce on the the cut side of the bottoms of the buns. Top with slices of duck, mint and coriander leaves, slices of cucumber, drained pickled carrots and a good drizzle of the Sriracha Mayo. Put the tops on the buns. Enjoy friends.

8 comments:

  1. Ouff, that's my kind of burger!! It looks soooooooo delicious with all these asian flavours and the ingredients that I love so much. A winner of recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these flavours too. So good. Thanks Gabrielle.

      Delete
  2. You have no idea how much I want to devour this right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just getting you back for the many times you've done it to me. x

      Delete
  3. That looks gorgeous. I so wish I could get my hands on such beautiful duck. Not easy to find here. Will have to do some looking, as I really, really need this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. We LOVE duck. It's easy to get here and boy, am I grateful for that!

      Delete
  4. Duck buns? Tasty, that's what. I was about to say that you are a freaking julienne kung-fu master, but then I realised that you used a mandoline. Still masterful, but now I don't feel *quite* so terrible about my knife skills. Whew! I need to make these. I luvaduck (that's the major brand of supermarket duck over here. I like it almost as much as 'duck buns').

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Laura. I luvaduck too! BTW: My knife skills are good, but not that good ;)

    ReplyDelete