Friday 14 March 2014

Coconut Hot Chocolate Latte with Whipped Coconut Cream











I'm getting ready for the weekend by playing around with some hot chocolate ideas. In conjuring up a chocolaty treat for my boys, I will be providing them with the energy they need for their weekend sporting activities... And of course, I'll need some energy to be able to cheer them on properly too.


Coconut Hot Chocolate Latte with Whipped Coconut Cream

Serves 1

I x 270ml can coconut milk (Use a can that has been undisturbed for a while: i.e. not turned over or shaken)
40g coconut dark chocolate
2cm piece cinnamon stick
pinch sea salt flakes
1 shot hot espresso coffee (30ml)
Agave nectar to taste
1 tablespoon shredded coconut, toasted
Milk

Take an undisturbed can of coconut milk and gently open the lid. There will be a layer of solid coconut cream on top. Scrape off the thick layer of cream and put it in a small bowl (reserve the remaining milk in the can). Whip the cream until thick. Set aside

Put the reserved coconut milk into a small saucepan with the cinnamon stick, chocolate and salt. Heat over medium-low heat until the chocolate has melted. Turn the heat as low as possible and let the cinnamon stick hang out in there for a few minutes to infuse. Remove the cinnamon stick and pour the mixture into a coffee cup. Add the hot coffee and enough milk top up the cup. Add agave nectar to taste.

Top with a dollop of the whipped coconut cream and a sprinkle of toasted coconut.

12 comments:

  1. Wow!! Who knew coconut cream can be whipped? Not me! I am a solid coconut devotee, so I simply must try this!! YUMMY! Looks delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina. Whipped coconut cream is lief changing!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this looks amazing! Sounds like the perfect thing to snuggle up with in winter too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A drink like this makes even the coldest weather bearable.

      Delete
  3. Stunning photos, and this latte! I wish I was curled up with one right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. The best way to drink on of these is curled up under a quilt with a book in your hand.

      Delete
  4. That's just perfect! I love it :) Your pictures are perfect as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabrielle. I made a mess, but it photographed okay I think.

      Delete
  5. This looks messy and awesome and coconutty and delicious. Love that giant mug too!

    ReplyDelete