Wednesday 26 March 2014

Singapore Noodles











I know Singapore Noodle purists will be pulling their hair out at this very moment. Singapore noodles are traditionally made with thin rice noodles and normally I would use them. But when all you have is fresh egg noodles in the fridge and a hungry family standing at your kitchen counter staring at you expectantly, you have to bite the bullet and go for it. 

Singapore Noodle Purist - I want that printed on a T-shirt... even though I broke the rules this once.


Singapore Noodles
adapted from John Midgley's 100 Fast Noodles
Serves 4

400g uncooked prawns, peeled and deviened
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
A few drops of chilli sauce
300g thin noodles ( Use rice noodles if you want the T-shirt.)
3 tablespoons peanut oil, plus a little extra for coating the noodles
2 eggs, beaten
1 small green capsicum, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled and finely sliced into matchsticks
6 spring onions, thinly sliced and white and green parts kept separate
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Cook the noodles according to packet instructions. Drain them and add a sprinkling of oil. Toss them in the oil to stop them from sticking together and set aside.

Put the prawns into a small bowl, add the salt and chilli sauce and toss to coat. Set aside.

Heat a wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon and heat until it starts to smoke. Add the beaten eggs and swirl the eggs. Keep swirling, coating the bottom the wok, until there is no more runny egg. Once the omelette starts to crisp and come away at the edges (about 1 minute), flip it and cook the other side until golden. Remove from the wok and, when cooled a little, roll it up and cut it into thin strips. Set aside.

Put the wok back on the high heat and add another tablespoon oil. Add the prawns and stir try for about 2 minutes, until they are just cooked. Remove them from the work and set aside.

Return the wok to the high heat and add the last of the oil. Toss the white parts of the spring onions, garlic, capsicum and carrot into the wok and stir fry for about 2 minutes, until the vegetables have softened and are little brown at the edges. Toss the curry powder, cayenne and turmeric in with the vegetables and stir fry for about 30 seconds. Add the prawns and stir to coat them in the spices. Add the noodles, water, soy sauce and sugar. Toss everything together until it is well mixed and heated through. Take the wok off the heat, add the egg strips and green parts of the spring onions and toss gently.

14 comments:

  1. I want the t shirt! I love this dish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janette. That t shirt would be so cool.

      Delete
  2. What a lucky family you have! I'm starving and these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. Looking at food blogs when you're hungry is torture. I know, because I do it all the time!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. So tasty and easy for weeknights.

      Delete
  4. Oh how I love this... I love this kind of dish and want to try this. Family will adore it... but no fresh shrimp in Nantes so what would I call myself (not a purist) if I used sea scallops instead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! I was supposed to do this dish weeks ago but I didn't and now I regret it when I see your pictures. I think I'm going to do this one instead because it looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried a lot of different recipes, but this is my favourite. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Just stopped by to let you know you're featured on Carole's Chatter today! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great dish, looks like it is easy to prepare as well. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really quick and simple dish. Perfect for weeknights, or for starrrving families who can't wait too long for dinner (which is every night at my house!!)

      Delete