Tuesday 29 April 2014

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Peanut and Cacao Frosting














I rushed to the gym early this morning only to be told that the trainer had called in sick at the last minute, so I had to be DISCIPLINED and motivate myself.  Then I smashed a precious glass to bits all over the kitchen floor, so I had to be BRAVE and suck back my tears. Then I bought a new ice cream machine for less that half price, so I had to be STRONG and not squeal with glee (in public). What a day... *Sighs, eats another cupcake.*



Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Peanut and Cacao Frosting
adapted from A Taste of Home
Makes 12

For the Cupcakes:
170g plain flour (I used cake flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Pinch fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
115g unsalted butter, softened
120g light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup buttermilk

For the Frosting:
115g unsalted butter, softened
125g cream cheese, softened
250g icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 heaping tablespoons of Peanut and Cacao Spread

Preheat the oven to 190 C. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt together. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together for 4 - 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. Tip in half the flour mixture and, with the mixer on low, gradually add the buttermilk. Finally, add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.

Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared liners and bake for 18 - 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

Make the Frosting:
Put all the ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth and creamy. Spoon into a disposable piping bag, snip a 1cm hole in the tip and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.


12 comments:

  1. & you've survived to all of this? Seriously, you're too good! (Nice cupcakes :) I've still some pumpkin puree in the freezer mouahah!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only use homemade pumpkin puree. It's the best... And yes, I'm a survivor!!

      Delete
  2. Aw! I feel your pain! Surely these beauties made up for it??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an exhausting day to be sure. You definitely deserve a few of these beautiful bites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You earned every bit of these cupcakes! They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If ever a cupcakes was earned it was on this day! These look super delicious, and I am now going to fantasize about this frosting for the rest of the day. If my boss catches me drooling on my desk I am going to blame you :) With love of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, the frosting!!! So good. Hope your boss is understanding.

      Delete
  6. What an emotional day you have had you deserve another cupcake right! these look so delicious love how the frosting looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheri. Don't tell anyone, but I piped some of the frosting directly into my mouth! Not pretty, but delicious.

      Delete