Thursday 13 November 2014

Chilli Cornbread with Chipotle Butter














When I eat sushi, I imagine I'm in a pokey little hole in the wall eatery in the outer market of the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo. When I eat a baguette, I imagine I'm in my chic Parisian apartment eating it with some amazing butter and drinking exquisite coffee. When I eat Spaghetti alle vongole, I imagine I'm in a trattoria in Campania supping wine and looking fabulous in my impeccable Italian attire. When I eat hot steaming dumplings, I imagine I'm at Dong Hua Men Night Market in Beijing sitting outside the pub in the laneway drinking beer. When I'm eating cornbread with chipotle butter, I imagine... well, you get the picture.


NOTE: You'll have more chipotle butter than you need for spreading on the cornbread, but just store leftover portions in the freezer (*as explained below), and use on BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, roasted sweet potatoes, sourdough toast...nom.

Chilli Cornbread with Chipotle Butter
adapted from here

For the Butter:
2 dried chipotle chillies
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 habanero chilli (or chilli of your liking), chopped
250g unsalted butter, softened and cubed
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Cornbread:
2 jalapenos, finely sliced
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
325g (corn meal) polenta
100g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
250ml buttermilk
2 eggs
2 corn on the cob, steamed till cooked and kernels removed
150g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
2 tablespoons cottage cheese

Make the Butter:
Put the chipotles into a small bowl and pour enough boiling water over them to completely cover. Set aside for 30 minutes. After soaking for 30 minutes, drain and discard the soaking liquid, deseed and take off any stems.

Put the re-hydrated chipotles into a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients and blitz until smooth.

Spoon the butter onto a piece of baking paper and roll it up into a log shape. twist the ends of the paper and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes. Take it out of the freezer and *cut it into portions, re-roll and return to the freezer and use as needed.

Make the Cornbread:
Preheat the oven to 200C (400F). Spray a 20 cm x 30 cm baking dish with cooking oil spray and line it with baking paper. Set aside.

Put the jalapenos into a small bowl and sprinkle with the vinegar and a pinch of salt. Set aside.

Combined the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, buttermilk, eggs and a good pinch of salt in a large bowl. Add the corn kernels, cheddar and cottage cheese and most of the jalapenos, reserving a few for sprinkling on top. Give it a good stir.

Pour the batter into the prepared dish and sprinkle the reserved jalapenos on top. Bake for 35 minutes until golden and done. Leave in the pan for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Serving with copious amount of the chipotle butter.



4 comments:

  1. Can I just have this whole loaf for breakfast?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dying. That looks so fantastic! I like to travel around the world that way too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really nice bread with a REA-LLY nice butter!! Chipotle, jalapeno, cheese...gosh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YES! This sounds absolutely amazing. Ah... to be any of those places that you described above! I love the fact that food has the ability to temporarily transport us elsewhere. Hopefully one day we'll actually be able to travel to Mexico via burrito...

    ReplyDelete