Tuesday 3 March 2015

New Fashioned Treacle Tart with Mascarpone Ice Cream











 


I set out to make a simple mascarpone ice cream today. But it was a bit too simple and after the 2 minutes it took me to mix the ice cream and 20 minutes to churn it, I stood in the kitchen twiddling my thumbs. There was just not enough fiddling and faffing in the ice cream making, and my hands needed more to do. So I made this lush tart to go with. I love it when I under promise and over deliver.



New Fashioned Treacle Tart with Mascarpone Ice Cream
adapted from here

For the Mascarpone Ice Cream:
250g (9 oz) mascarpone
100g (3 1/2 oz) caster sugar
pinch fine sea salt
150ml (5 1/2 fl oz) milk
225ml (8 fl oz) cream
1/2 vanilla pod, seeds scraped

For the Pastry:
125g (4 1/2 oz) unsalted butter, softened
50g (1 3/4 oz) caster sugar
pinch of fine sea salt
125g (4 1/2 oz) plain flour
80g (2 3/4 oz) shortbread biscuits, blitzed to fine crumbs in a food processor
1 egg

For the Filling:
120g (4oz) unsalted butter
340g (12 fl oz) golden syrup
90g (3 oz) brioche, blitzed to fine crumbs in a food processor
50ml (1 3/4 fl oz) cream
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 egg

Make the Mascarpone Ice Cream:
Put all the ice cream ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturers instructions. Spoon into a freezer-proof container and store in the freezer until you are ready to serve.

Make the Pastry:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the salt, flour and shortbread crumbs and mix on low speed until just combined. Add the egg and mix until just incorporated. It will be a sticky dough, not unlike cookie dough. Spoon it out onto a piece of plastic wrap and wrap it up tightly. Chill in the refrigerator for at least on hour.

Preheat the oven to 170C (340F).

Take the pastry out of the refrigerator and crumble it into a 23 cm (9 in) loose-bottomed tart pan. Press the crumble into the sides and base of the pan, making sure there are no holes or cracks. Trim off any excess pastry.

Line the pastry with baking paper, pour in some baking weights and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the weights and paper and return the tart to the oven to cake for a further 5 - 10 minutes, or until cooked through and golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.

Reduce the oven temperature to 160C (325F).

Make the Filling:
Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium heat until it turns nut-brown. Remove from the heat and add the golden syrup. Stir to combined. Add the brioche crumbs and whisk in the cream, salt and egg and leave to cool for 10 minutes.

Pour the cooled filling into the cooked tart case and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 140C (275F) and cook for a further 20 minutes. The filling should be just set, and should have a slight wobble in the centre.  Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Serve with scoops of Mascarpone Ice Cream.

8 comments:

  1. ooh the looks good - I have had a hankering for treacle tart for a long time but never thought of jazzing it up with brioche - soft white breadcrumbs are a treat but so lacking in flavour and interest. And I admire you for having the energy - I usually over promise and under deliver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. The brioche is a bit of luxury, not that treacle tart isn't luxury enough.

      Delete
  2. Oh Jen, I feel you!! It's never enough and it's always in my head because my boyfriend or when my parents are coming over, they always tell me that I do too much. Oh well, I love it that way so :) Love the mascarpone in the ice cream, I'm sure it is realllyyy creamy and realllyyyy good! And the tart, I'm really curious about the biroche in the filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you like lots of work as well Gabrielle. It just doesn't feel like we've earned it if it's too easy, right?

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, to everything. So much yes.
    I love golden syrup and this tart is the perfect grown up expression of 'now I don't have to just eat it straight from the tub on a spoon'. Because apparently some people do that.
    Also, mascarpone ice cream! I can't wait to get my ice cream maker out of storage and whip up several large batches of this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden syrup is such a comfort ingredient. Spoonfuls of it straight from the jar are a stolen treat. You have got to make this ice cream Amy. You'll be ruined for any other vanilla ice cream forever after... promise!

      Delete
  4. I've seen few treacle-tart recipes on the Internet, but never tried to make it. Seem it's time! :D Your tart looks really wonderful!
    Cheers
    Mila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mila. Treacle tarts can be overly sweet for my taste, but this one is rich in flavour. Promise me you'll make the ice cream to go with - they are a match made in heaven.

      Delete