Tuesday 8 September 2015

Classic Vanilla Glazed Doughnuts












This was the post I was meant to publish yesterday, but I was busy eating doughnuts.



Classic Vanilla Glazed Doughnuts
Makes 12

For the Doughnuts:
2 tablespoons lukewarm water
1 sachet dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
30g unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cups plain flour
Vegetable oil for deep frying

For the Glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
30g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
2- 3 tablespoons hot water

Make the Doughnuts:
Line two baking sheets with baking paper and sprinkle the baking paper with flour. Set aside.

Put the water into a small bowl and sprinkle over the yeast. Stir with a fork and set aside for 5 minutes to become foamy.

Put the yeast mixture, milk, butter, sugar, salt, egg and most of flour into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium for 3 - 4 minutes.  Add more flour if needed to to make a soft, smooth dough.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to rise for 1 hour.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll it out to 1cm thick.  Cut with a doughnut cutter, gathering up remaining dough and re-rolling and cutting until your have 12 doughnuts.

Place the doughnuts on the prepared baking sheets.  Cover with clean cloths and set aside for 30 minutes to become puffy.

Heat the oil in a deep-sided, wide pan (I use a wok) to 180C.  Cook the doughnuts in batches. Gently slide the doughnuts into the oil, about 3 at a time, and cook for about 1 minute on each side.  Using a slotted spoon, lift them out of the oil and drain on a wire rack to cool slightly before dipping them in the glaze.


Make the Glaze:
Put the icing sugar into a medium bowl.  Add the melted butter and vanilla paste and stir.  Add enough hot water to achieve a dipping consistency.

Dip both sides of the warm doughnuts into the glaze, covering them completely.  Leave to dry on a wire rack and then apply to face.

5 comments:

  1. These are the doughnuts of my dreams Jennifer! All that crackly vanilla glaze and soft but chewy dough....uhhhhh...... (that's the sound my soul makes when it is drooling). You are the Queen of All Dough my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never made doughnuts like this. Baked yes but not the fried one cause I'm kind of scared of frying haha! Your pictures makes me wanna do it anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh made donuts! Yours look awesome, send me some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the doughnuts of my dreams! Please save a few for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG those look soooo good, wish I had one right now! I would be busy eating doughnuts if I had these too :)

    ReplyDelete