Thursday 8 October 2015

Coconut and Nutmeg Cookies









My weekday usually starts at about 6.30am.  I get a cup of hot tea brought to me in bed by my husband, which I usually savour for about 5 minutes (or chug it down in 15 seconds when it's lukewarm and I've accidentally fallen back to sleep), then I hit the ground running.  First I dress (usually in my gym gear) and put my hair in a pony tail.  Then I wake up my kids, make them breakfast (smoothies and eggs)  and pack school lunches (sandwiches, salads, muffins, fruit).  Next I kiss and wave goodbye to my family as my husband speeds down the driveway to drop the boys off at the bus stop before he heads to work.  I then sort the washing, put a load of washing in the washer, do the breakfast dishes, make the beds and feed the animals.  Then, at last,  I make myself some breakfast.   And sometimes that means that I stand that the kitchen counter and stuff cookies into my face.  Oh, the glamour.



Coconut and Nutmeg Cookies
slightly adapted from here
Makes 12

60g rolled oats
170g shredded coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
150g plain flour
200g golden caster sugar
1/2 whole nutmeg, finely grated
100g unsalted butter
30g golden syrup
3 1/2 tablespoons of water
5g baking soda
Sea salt flakes

Preheat the oven to 160C (fan-forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Set aside.

Put half the oats and half the coconut into a food processor and blitz until finely milled. Tip the mixture into a large mixing bowl.

Add the flour, sugar, nutmeg and remaining coconut and oats to the bowl and stir to combine.

Put the butter, golden syrup and water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, add the baking soda to the boiling liquid and immediately pour it over the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.

Divide the dough into 12 even portions, roll the portions into balls and place them on the prepared baking tray, leaving a enough room for the cookies to spread during baking. Flatten the balls slightly, sprinkle with some shredded coconut and sea salt flakes and bake for 15 minutes until golden. Leave on the baking tray to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.












5 comments:

  1. I would also devour these for breakfast after the amount of chores you do first thing in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat cookies for breakfast?? I should definitely do that more often. & those cookies...again I've everything at home, even the golden syrup. It's going to be a Milk and Honey cooking weekend this weekend haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so do you put on your gym gear because your morning is like a work out? sounds like you deserve these bikkies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these cookies the other day for the hubby and colleagues at work, everybody loved them! Thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear that Joy. I'm glad your family and friends enjoyed them.

      Delete