Wednesday 16 December 2015

Gingerbread Cupcakes











When I called for volunteers to help me with the photo shoot for this post, my two sons moved faster than Clark Griswold with sled wax.


Note: Originally published in December 2013.  I've updated the photos and revamped the recipe.



Gingerbread Cupcakes
Makes 12

For the Cupcakes:
1 3/4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
115g softened unsalted butter
1/2 dark brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1/2 cup water

For the Frosting:
90g unsalted butter, at room temperature
115g cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon milk
Sprinkles for decorating

Make the Cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.

Put the flour, baking powder, spices and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk with a hand whisk to combine, aerate and get rid of any lumps.

Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until creamy. Add the molasses and egg and beat again to combine. Add half the water, then half the dry mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Add the remaining water and dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until combined.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the paper cases. Bake for 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before turning them out into a wire rack to cool completely.

Make the Frosting:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar and cinnamon and mix on low until incorporated. Add a little milk to give you a piping consistency and beat for about 2 minutes on medium-high speen until it's whipped and light.

Spoon the frosting into a piping bag with a large star nozzle and pipe swirls onto of the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with...um, sprinkles.

12 comments:

  1. I think that I just found the recipe that I wanted for a party :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! These just epitomise the season - also, I love the idea of baking with molasses but haven't done this yet, I spotted some in Woolies the other day, so must try!

    Have a lovely Christmas with your family Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. I love the deep, intense richness molasses gives to baked goods. Happy Christmas Emma - eat, drink and be merry.

      Delete
  3. I can only imagine how great these cupcakes smell, yum! Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, these look wonderful! Happy holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TRB. I hope your Christmas is delicious.

      Delete
  5. Man, I wish I had more time to do extra Christmas baking. I keep seeing all this deliciousness but it's not possible to bake (or consume... unless I want to be house-shaped) it all! Love gingerbread. I could just sit breathing in the gorgeous warm smell for hours! You have one lucky family Jen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I love Christmas baking. I feel as though I have a licence to be as indulgent as I like. I also run a lot faster and longer than at other times of the year to avoid being house-shaped too.

      Delete
  6. Love these photos. i have been doing the same thing with my recipes. TI love a gingerbread cake and these look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are just gorgeous Jennifer! And there's nothing like baked goods to make models appear in an instant! These cupcakes are just what I need at the end of this year, and I think I know a few people who will volunteer to help me demolish them ;)

    ReplyDelete