Tuesday 1 December 2015

In My Kitchen - December 2015

Here's what's happening in my kitchen at the moment...




Lemon Curd:

With great lemons comes great lemon curd... that's what Uncle Ben said, or something like that.  I'm still picking lemons and making everything lemony. We've eaten jars and jars of lemon curd... on scones, on toast, on pancakes and waffles, in cakes, on cakes (Madeira Cake with Homemade Lemon Curd and Fresh Berries), in pastry (Lemon Cream Choux Buns)... spooned from jar to mouth... and we're still not sick of it.  It's pretty much a fridge staple around here.



Pomegranates:


With a pomegranate in the house, there's always the opportunity to bring a touch of the exotic to any dish.  I love to up the Arabian Nights vibe by a whacking out the arils over a salad of tomatoes and roasted lemons or over a cake.  There can't be a more festive fruit.



Gooseberries:  

Not quite in my kitchen yet, but our gooseberries are nearly ready.  And when they are, they are going straight into a pie, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.



Home Baked by Yvette Van Boven:
So many totally delicious things to bake from this stunning book by Yvette Van Boven. Cake for days...



The Makings of a Kir Royale (or three):

Okay, so my bar isn't technically in my kitchen, but that's where I am 90 percent of the time, so that's where my drink is.


So, that's my kitchen for now.

Pop on over and check out the links to bloggers’ kitchens around the world at In My Kitchen on 

24 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure are organised, Jen! Love that you have gooseberries! And isn't it wonderful to have pomegranates. Do you freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never frozen them. Will give it a try though.

      Delete
  2. As always, I love your post ''In my kitchen''. Love the citrus and the gooseberries. And the kir royale!! We have a nice little company that makes a wonderful cassis syrup in Quebec. I should send you some :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely things here Jen!! I'll take one of your Kir Royales thanks doll :) Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! I've really got to make some lemon curd now :-)
    Yay for homegrown berries - we had raspberries last summer and they were so good.
    Pomegranates are one of my favourite fruits. I love what they do to a salad for something so simple.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can give you a jar of lemon curd! You're so right about homegrown berries. I can't wait to make a pie with my gooseberries. And pomegranates can glam up even the humblest salad - bless them.

      Delete
  5. What a splendid installment! My hubby loves pomegranates and well I am very partial to the bubbly.
    Have a wonderful day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with gorgeous fruit and bubbly.

      Delete
  6. Yes I love a kir royal. It is a kitchen when you cook up drinks there. Love your photos you are very clever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tania, You've just made my day.

      Delete
  7. Such beautiful photos Jennifer. Lovely summery colours. I particularly like the first one with the string ( I have some that string too!!) and the one of the woamn holding the book. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Francesca. I have a stash of ribbons and string. I'd rather use plain old brown paper to wrap gifts and dress them up with some fabulous ribbon.

      PS: That woman is me... in all my glory LOL!

      Delete
  8. Love the lemon curd. I really wish we had lemons here. We tried to grow a tree once, maybe it's time to try it again. Pomegranates definitely jazz up any dish and taste great. And duh, plenty of bubbly drinks this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my friends have a lemon tree growing in their gardens here so I can't give them away!!! Citrus grows like weeds here... not a bad problem to have really. Oh, and bubbles at this time of the year is a no-brainer, right?

      Delete
  9. I do love a kir royale especially in nice glasses. You are so right about pomegranates - they are in season here too and I have them over porridge as well as sprinkled over stews & salads in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A kir royale at any time makes an occasion special, even if it's just kicking off your shoes at the end of a busy day. I think I'll sprinkle some pomegranate over my porridge tomorrow morning and pretend I'm in some exotic locale - instead of in my kitchen, dressed in my pj's in the Victorian countryside.

      Delete
  10. Ohhh the lemon curd! My mouth is watering. I love gooseberries. They grow wild here. There aren't many but it's worth the time and energy I have to put into finding and picking. Lovely photography.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is a glorious looking curd. I agree, there isn't a more festive fruit than a pomegranate and I add its seeds to everything at this time of the year too. Happy December x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lemons and pomegranates conjure up thoughts of gorgeous summer dishes. The lemon curd sounds especially delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gotta' love lemon curd. I have a few jars of blood orange curd in the freezer, ready to pull out for some quick desserts over Christmas. As for the Kir Royales… the height of festive cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I'm loving all the things in your kitchen, lemon curd is a fave and I'm a big fan of pomegranates. You've now got me wanting a Kir Royale as well.

    ReplyDelete