Friday 5 February 2016

Beef and Blue Cheese Burgers with Apple and Radish Slaw








A burger is always a popular dinner option at our house.  They always makes my boys happy.  On a day when I ran a PB, finished all my chores, accomplished all the tasks on my to-do list and even cleared the laundry baskets(!!!), all I needed to really top things off was a burger and the smiles on my boys faces... and a cold beer.


Beef and Blue Cheese Burgers with Apple and Radish Slaw
Makes 6

For the Patties:
1kg ground beef
150g blue cheese (I use Shadows of Blue because it's absolutely delicious and made just up the road.)
Sea salt flakes
Olive oil

For the Slaw:
1 large Granny Smith apple, shredded on a mandoline
6 - 8 radishes, shredded on a mandoline
Juice of 1/2 lime
Sea salt flakes

To Serve:
Your favourite gerkins (I use Kuhne.  Not local, but they are delicious.)
Your favourite sauce (e.g. ketchup, BBQ, hot sauce)
Your favourite mustard (I use French's, because I just about always use French's on my burgers.)
6 soft burger buns

Make the Patties:
Divide the meat into 6 even portions, roll them into balls and pat them out into large patties, about 2cm thick.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt.

Heat a griddle pan to screaming hot and cook the first side of the patties for about 3 minutes. or until golden brown.  Flip the patties and place a piece of blue cheese on the cooked side.  Turn the heat down to medium and place a lid on the pan.  Cook until the cheese has melted and the patty is cooked to your liking.  Remove to a plat and keep warm.

Split the burger buns and place them split-side down in the pan.  They will soak up the cooking juices of the patties as they toast.  Once they are ridged golden.  Remove from the heat and set aside.

Make the Slaw:
Place all of the slaw ingredients in a bowl and toss to mix.

Build Your Burger: 
Place a patty on the bun and top with the slaw.  Add a sliced gerkin and coniments of your choice, crown it with the top portion of the bun and chow down.  Keep lots of napkins within arms reach.

1 comment:

  1. A burger is always welcome in my house, my boyfriend is crazy about that meal! I'm sure he would be crazy about this burger with blue cheese and the slaw. Yum :)

    ReplyDelete