Monday 12 September 2016

Teriyaki Tofu Balls - Vegan









I'm not vegan.  Let's just clarify that from the get go.  However, I eat a lot of vegan/vegetarian food (and drink a lot of coffee), just check out my Instagram feed if you don't believe me.  I eat that way because I like it and for all the same reasons vegans and vegetarians eat that way.  It may surprise you (or you may not give a rats) that for someone who eats as much cake as I do, I actually like to eat simple, nutritious food that makes me feel good ... and food that leaves me with enough room for ice cream and cookies for dessert. 



Teriyaki Tofu Balls - Vegan
Serves 4
Slightly adapted from here

For the Sauce:
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
60ml mirin
60ml tamari
2 tablespoons brown sugar
60ml water

For the Balls:
400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
200g firm tofu, grated
2 teaspoons tamari
40g wholemeal flour (I used Atta flour)
2 teaspoons gratedfresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 spring onions, finely sliced
20g baby spinach leaves, chopped
2 teaspoons sesame oil

For the Garnish:
Shredded nori
Coriander leaves
Toasted sesame seeds

Make the Sauce:
Put all the sauce ingredient in a bowl and stir to mix.  Set aside.

Make the Balls:
Put the chickpeas into a food processor and blitz till smooth.  Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the gated tofu, tamari, flour, ginger, garlic, spring onions and spinach.  Stir to mix.  Roll walnut-size portions of the mixture into neat balls and place them on a tray lined with baking paper.

Pour the sesame oil into a large frying pan heat over medium heat.  Cook the balls until golden on all sides.  Reduce the temperature to low and add the sauce.  Cook until the sauce has thickened, turning the balls over so that they get a nice even coating of sauce.  Remove from the heat.

Garnish:
Sprinkle the balls with shredded nori, coriander leaves and toasted sesame seeds.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh Jen!!!! I'm SO going to make your recipe this week :) I'm just like you about food and I like it too. It's nice to have so many choices and to play with lots of different ingredients, textures, tastes...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too - I love cakes and I love healthy food - this looks fantastic and is on my to do list - if I didn;t have leftovers it would be today's dinner!

    ReplyDelete