Wednesday 28 May 2014

Spiced Pumpkin Quinoa Chocolate-Chip Muffins - Gluten Free

 












My sister is coming over for coffee, so I made these muffins to have with. This batter makes six delicious plumptuous muffins, of which there are only five left. I HAD to have one with my morning coffee... for quality control purposes.


Spiced Pumpkin Quinoa Chocolate-Chip Muffins - Gluten Free
slightly adapted from Emma Galloway's My Darling Lemon Thyme
Makes 6

115g pumpkin puree
Finely grated zest of an orange
1 egg
60ml olive oil
80ml coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
70g fine brown rice flour
30g quinoa flour
1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
50g unrefined sugar (I used panela)
25g almond meal
1/8 teaspoon salt (I used Pink Himalayan salt)
55g dark chocolate chips (I used dairy free)

Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 6-hole 1/3 cup (80ml) muffin tin with paper liners.

Whisk together the pumpkin, orange zest, egg, oil, milk and vanilla.

In a separate bowl sift together the brown rice flour, quinoa flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger. Add the sugar, almond meal, salt and chocolate chips. Stir to blend the dry ingredients thoroughly, then add the pumpkin mixture and stir to combine.

Spoon the batter into the paper liners and bake for 20 -25 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

20 comments:

  1. Well of course you had to test your recipe! These look delicious, and they are totally Amy friendly :)
    Weekend breakfast perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins look delicious! I love the combination of pumpkin and chocolate. (But then, who doesn't? It's pretty much the best.)
    Pinning these lovely muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abbie. I love the combo too. So comforting.

      Delete
  3. They look soooooooo moist! & the quality test is always required :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Gabrielle. They are a really lovely texture. You should give them a try.

      Delete
  4. Those look delicious! I love pumpkin muffins, but it always helps to have more nutritious ingredients like quinoa in some tasty pastries! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. Using quinoa flour makes these health food and means I can eat more of them, right?

      Delete
  5. Quality control is always an absolute. Those look delish! I've yet to see quinoa flour in the store, will have to go hunt some down. My stash of 5,443 flours is looking a bit thin.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Oh I so hear you Maria. I have a veritable meadow of flours in my pantry.

      Delete
  6. I love Emma Galloway! Her book is amazing and it was such a pleasure and privilege to hear her talk at last year's blogging conference. Love the look of this stunning pumpkin muffin recipe. I have seen quinoa flour but I'm yet to try it... the texture of these looks delicious! Oh, and quality control? Heck yeah! Necessary, always...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Phew on the QC issue, though I knew my fellow food blogging mates would understand. I love the book. Her approach special dietary requirement is so approachable. You don't miss the wheat or dairy at all.

      Delete
  7. To me. the mix of pumpkin and spices is systematically delicious, no matter what dessert it involves. They look so soft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree entirely on the pumpkin and spices. They just GO together.

      Delete
  8. These look incredible. Well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jessica. I bet your family would love these.

      Delete
  9. Panela, how interesting! I love Emma's book! Did you see my recent interview with her? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read your interview with Emma. What a lovely woman she is and what a great interview. It's what inspired me to buy the book. I got the Panela from Woolies if your interested.

      Delete
  10. I haven't baked muffins in a long while. Good to have this quinoa twist for inspiration now that my son is back home, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shulie. The mix of flours give these muffins the most divine textures. I'm thinking I'll be making different variations of these muffins time and time again.

      Delete