Wednesday 1 October 2014

In My Kitchen - October 2014

Here's what was happening in my kitchen about 2 weeks ago because right now I'm in Japan.





Jonas Cramby's Tex-Mex From Scratch (and breakfast):


I don't think I've ever met a Tex-Mex dish I didn't immediately want to marry. I love the smoky seductive barbecue, the chilli, the slow cooked meats that fall off the bone, the limes and coriander that brighten nearly every dish, the elotes, the salsas, the avocados, the tequila, the beans, the tortillas, the ribs, the tacos, the carnitas... in the words of Yul Brynner "et cetera, et cetera, et cetera..."  Tex -Mex food is party food. I don't think you can eat it and not have fun (or is that the tequila talking?) Jonas Cramby is a journalist and food blogger and his book "Tex-Mex from Scratch" is the newest book to hit my kitchen (at the time of writing, that is). It's a delight to read and a feast for the eyes. He opens with these words "My name is Jonas Cramby and I'm addicted to tacos." I think he's my brother from another mother.



Pie Plate:


I've been wanting one of these vintage pie plates, like forever, and now I have one thanks to Etsy. Not that I needed another pie plate or something else to find a home for in my kitchen... but, you know "must have" doesn't always equal "need" - well, my husband knows that.


China:


This beautiful antique Czech dinnerware as the first birthday present my husband gave me. We were just meant to be together... the dinnerware, my husband and I.



Pumpkin Spice Syrup:


Yes, I am aware that it's Spring where I live, but I can't help but get caught up in the whole "pumpkin/Fall/Autumn" thing that's happening in the Northern hemisphere. I think it's too much Pinterest. Most of the boards and blogs I follow are from "the other sphere" and I get obsessed with apples and pumpkins and cinnamon and nutmeg when I really should be in the asparagus and artichokes and mangoes and passionfruit head-space. But there's plenty of time for all that, and in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to have just one more Skinny Pumpkin Latte, right?

Pumpkin Spice Syrup:
Makes about 1 litre

2 cups water
2 cups sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 whole nutmeg

Put the water and sugar into a medium saucepan and bring to boil. Once the sugar has dissolved add the spices and simmer the mixture for about 10 - 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Leave to cool, then pour into a bottle and chill in the refrigerator.


Pumpkin and Five Spice Ice Cream:


And while we're at it, we may as well have a scoop or three of Roasted Pumpkin Five Spice Ice Cream (recipe here) to see winter off with a bang, yes? I told you I was obsessed.



Anyway, that's my kitchen for now.

Pop on over and check out the links to bloggers’ kitchens around the world at In My Kitchen on

23 comments:

  1. Oh I love that pie plate! And I fully understand the thought of 'must have'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun in Japan!! :) And seriously, now I want a new book, a vintage pie plate and pumpkin spice syrup. It's the time here with apples so I don't have a choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dinner service is absolutely beautiful and I wish I could find mini wooden spoons here.
    Have a wonderful day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the old fashioned pie plate as well. Hope all is well with you. Visit me at Cooking On A Budget sometime and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just stopped by to let you know you've been featured today over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am lusting after that pie plate too: it looks charmingly displayed. And the Czech dinner ware- your husband knows you- and me- so well. Lucky find- both the dinnerware and the man. The pumpkin icecream looks rather inviting too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the pie plate and the dinner service. too much "must have" in my kitchen but it can't be helped:) and hubby understands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen this month! The pie dish is divine! Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jennifer, I love that plate, it most certainly is 'a must have'. What do you use the pumpkin syrup for? I have never heard of it. The photo of the ice-cream looks lovely, though pupkin flavoured does sound a wee bit strange :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jennifer, I love that plate, it most certainly is 'a must have'. What do you use the pumpkin syrup for? I have never heard of it. The photo of the ice-cream looks lovely, though pumpkin flavoured does sound a wee bit strange :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jennifer, I love that plate, it most certainly is 'a must have'. What do you use the pumpkin syrup for? I have never heard of it. The photo of the ice-cream looks lovely, though pumpkin flavoured does sound a wee bit strange :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pie plate! What was the world like before Etsy?! You may be getting caught up in,our apple and pumpkin fun, but I'm jealous of all the spring produce popping up in the southern sphere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that pie plate is irresistible! Will you actually use it, or keep it as a decorative piece? The dinner set is divine too, and I think I'll have to find a copy of that book.. :) Have a wonderful time in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that pumpkin ice cream it looks amazing and I'm really keen to try it out. I really love that pie plate too. I hope you have a fantastic time in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore that pie plate, and the ice cream looks yummy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. G'day! Love the pie plate and the pumpkin ice cream!
    Thanks for your kitchen view this month also!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its really hard no to get caught up in the pumpkin and apple thing. I so love both. I would have that tex mex cook book any day at all and well you did just have tio have that beautiful pie plate no matter what ANYBODY said

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have an enormous pumpkin growing in the garden so I'm desperate for pumpkin recipes. Luckily it's big enough to make the syrup and ice-cream - will be watching for the recipe. Love the pie plate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That ice cream though! I was just saying to Chris last night that I need to get my ice cream maker from Mum and Dad's place.
    Looks like we were thinking in sync. Can't wait to have a look at that cookbook. I think my credit card is about to get a workout :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhhh.... talk about Tex Mex. OBSESSED. Hope that you had a great time in Japan (holiday? Ah, so jealous!) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do love that pie pan and the china!!! The ice cream not too bad, either!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jennifer, that pumpkin ice cream looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I do love the dinner service and the pie plate too - just gorgeous!! The pumpkin spice syrup is a great idea too and the ice-cream looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete